Thursday, November 5, 2015

Back to Delhi

               DELHI: TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS (the dentist) AUGUST 2015


It’s the monsoon season, rain is supposed to be coming down in droves.  But wait, I was in Delhi for five days taking care of business, and except for one really nasty late afternoon deluge, during my whole visit, there was only an occasional short burst of afternoon or evening rain daily.  But it was still HOT!        
Over the entry to the hotel 


I decided after my last visit to the Cottage Yes Please that it was becoming too shabby, and I needed a different abode to rest my weary bones.  As I have always enjoyed good service at CYP, I decided to try their new hotel, the NATRAJ, which is located at the opposite end of the same street.  The new hotel is very pleasant, priced right, clean and tidy with the same kind of staff.  I had a lovely room with a window and other then prayer time it was much quieter (note: If you want a room with a window, which I do, you must request it in you reservation).
Front office to Natraj Hotel


This hotel has room service just like the CYP and also a breakfast room.  Unfortunately, they do not have a breakfast service or a morning menu to my taste. 
Although it is not directly across from the Malhotra Restaurant where I have enjoyed many cheap, yet very good Indian meals, I sacrificed myself to walk the few yards down the block to get my morning ‘fix’. It’s still one of the best meal deals in all of Paharganj and Delhi. 
NATRAJ’S location my not be right across from the Malhotra restaurant, but it is situated far enough down the street to make the walk to the metro shorter and less congested. The NATRAJ is now my new home away from home during my next visits to Delhi.
Paharganj street scene

It is time for another visit to Max Private Specialty Hospital, this time to have my ears checked, my teeth cleaned and as usual, to pick up some medications.  After my visit to Max’s dentist, who felt I needed at least two fillings replaced (although she did not want to do the work). I was still concerned about at least one tooth.  Ajee, my friend and favorite auto rickshaw driver took me to a splendid dentist down the block and around the corner from my hotel.  Dr. (Major) Vikrant Walia, EX-Army Dental Surgeon, whose rather primitive office, with equipment left over from e 1930s.  He had acquired the practice of the now deceased, Dr. Chang whose office ads and address are still on the Internet.  Not only did Dr. Walia do a thorough examination of my teeth he also took an x-ray, which cost only 400 Rupees (63 to 65 rupees to a US dollar).  Would I go back again of course.  He really seemed to know his dentistry. But I’ll wait till I get home for a full exam by my wonderful dentist Dr. Terry Max in Boca Raton, Florida.

I also treated my self to a visit to the Infinity Salon, where three delightful young men divided the jobs of a shampoo and hair styling, a pedicure and manicure, all of which together cost a whopping $25 dollars and a $5 tip. My ‘bank’ was still in tact and boy did I feel wonderful. 
the fabulous staff at INFINITY SALON

Now that I had my ‘meds;’ the real reason for this Delhi stop (prescriptions are much cheaper than in the “States” even with drug insurance), I was really to go Mcleod Ganj for a last visit with my friends Phillippa, Wangchuk and little Rigsel before heading off to England.
 
Inside a shopping center near Max Hospital

Members of the political Gandi family surrounding the image of "Gandi the father of modern India" who is no relation to this family of the same name.






NOTES:
1)    When I go to Delhi I use the Metro, which I find a good transportation option.  Instead of buying a tourist card or cuing for single tickets, I go to the kiosk and buy a ‘TRAVEL CARD.  The initial cost is 200 rupees and I can get at least three days of Metro travel for my money with little none of the hassle or expense of the other two options.
2)    Three great shopping venues:  THE SHOP, 10 Regal Building, Parliament Street Connaught Place, Delhi; FABINDIA and INOKI both at Kahn Market.  All sell great clothes, linens, and sundry other items, which can be great gifts.  All shops also have other locations around the city and the country.
3)    Ajay (Aji) wonderful auto rickshaw driver.  Phone number 07836827612 or in front of the Cottage Yes Please, generally after 10 AM.






No comments:

Post a Comment